Q: Speedometer and gears failed; car towed - 2009 Kia Borrego

asked by on September 21, 2016

This problem has occurred twice now. Both of the times it happened, multiple warning lights came on: ESC off, ABS, downhill braking assist, and the emergency brake light. The following stopped working: speedometer, mileage, and gears. I had no idea what speed I was going. On clear roads, the speed was 40-45 mph. Once my SUV was stopped, I could only shift into Neutral or Drive; plus, the key would not come out of the ignition, even though the engine could be turned off. The brakes were still working. However, both times this problem occurred, once all the lights were on and no speedometer, I was able to slow down significantly. There was absolutely no way to reverse the SUV when the problem happened. After the first time, the dealership told me that it was the ABS module. They could not diagnose the light codes and over several days they worked directly with Kia to try to find the problem. They did replace the ABS module, which was a year ago. Now, the same problem has occurred today! I can not get any help from the dealership - no straight answers or solutions. Would you please give me your professional assessment on my SUV and what will fix it?

It seems like the problem is one the shop may have not experienced just yet or they may have found a big problem and are trying to work with Kia directly for warranty or recall information. Take the vehicle back and have the facility check over the previous work. If the installed part was installed properly and has failed out of the guidelines of the warranty, you may be required to have the service performed again.