Q: Smoke is coming from steering wheel column and there is a burning smell, loud noise from engine.

My husband said he can smell something burning and saw smoke coming from the steering wheel consol. For the last few weeks on and off we hear this noise that makes the gas pedal vibrate and sounds almost as if a belt may not be working correctly, but it only does it when going under 40mph above that there is no noise.

A: This sounds like there are two different pr...

This sounds like there are two different problems, but the "something's burning" problem is critical. There is obviously an electrical short somewhere inside the steering column that has already done damage, and could lead to a sudden shutoff in traffic, a fire, or worse. You should have this problem examined before driving further. I would recommend having a YourMechanic certified mechanic perform an Electric Problems Inspection immediately to diagnose this issue, provide an accurate assessment of damage, and estimate the cost of repairs. A YourMechanic professional can also perform an Engine is Shaking, Pulsating or Vibrating Inspection after checking out your electrical problem.