Q: The car shut off, cannot be started

Hi. While I was driving my truck, it just started slowing down out of the blue. The gas pedal became unresponsive and the engine shut off without any noise. I'm trying to start it up again and it sounds as if it would and there is cranking, but it cannot be started. Before this issue, I noticed rattling sounds on the startup only. What part could be worn? Do you have some advice what I should check? Thank you.

A: The crankshaft damper may have a loose bolt...

The crankshaft damper may have a loose bolt and is what's causing the lower timing chain gear to be loose. The gear pin may shear and cause the no start or loss of power. However, if this is not the case, then the computer should be scanned to see if there are various codes that could lead to wiring repairs due to loose or corroded pins in the various modules of the vehicle. If you need help with this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your starting issue and fix what caused this problem to begin with.