Q: Shifter locked up

asked by on February 18, 2016

My car won't start, and won't go into park or reverse. The shifter is locked up.

From the description provided, it appears that your Oldsmobile Bravada may be experiencing a faulty shift lock solenoid. This solenoid is responsible for making sure you can only shift the vehicle in and out of park when the brake pedal is depressed. Its job is to also to ensure that the key can only be removed when the vehicle is in Park. Your Oldsmobile will also not start if the transmission is not in Park or Neutral. I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and inspect your Oldsmobile. They will have the tools and experience needed to quickly determine why you are not able to shift your car into Park. They will also be able to make the repairs needed to restore the proper function of the gear selector. At this point, if the your Oldsmobile does not start, they will be able to further troubleshoot the concern and diagnose the cause of your no start condition as well as make the repairs necessary to eliminate the no start condition.