Q: My car jerks when it reaches 2000 rpms, what could the cause of this be?

I got into my car today to drive to work and it started to jerk when accelerating. I noticed this only happens when reaching 2000 rpms and it jerks it back down to 1000rpms.

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

There are a lot of potential causes of this problem, all of which are hard to diagnose without being in front of the car. It could have a failing mass air flow sensor, a failing throttle position sensor, a problem with the fuel pressure, or even an internal transmission problem. It could also be one of countless other things. The best place to start would be to have it test driven by a professional, and they will scan the powertrain control module and transmission control module for faults. After driving it and pulling any faults, they should be able to give you an idea of what’s wrong, and what the next steps to diagnose and repair are. I suggest you contact one of the certified technicians available through YourMechanic, to diagnose this issue for you.

• My car jerks when it reaches 2000 rpms, what could the cause of this be?