Q: Starting problem, engine revs at low RPM in drive - 1999 Chevrolet C3500

I haven't driven my truck for several months. It sat with clean oil and a low amount of gas. It won't start unless I put starting fluid in. I had the fuel filter replaced with a new one. I installed a new battery as well. I filled it with gas. When I get it to start and put it in drive, the engine would rev at 2400 RPM. If I apply the gas pedal too hard, the engine starts stalling. In neutral and park, the engine would rev normally. The truck runs well if I go easy on the gas pedal. What might be the problem?

It sounds like the Idle Air Control valve is gunked up. It may be possible to clean it, or it might have to be replaced. A YourMechanic professional can help to diagnose the stalling issue and replace the idle air control valve .

• Starting problem, engine revs at low RPM in drive - 1999 Chevrolet C3500