Q: My car leaked all of the oil from the oil filter and now it's making a loud thumping noise - did the engine pop ?

asked by on November 07, 2016

I have changed the oil myself for quite some time now but most recently I installed the oil filter but forgot to remove the old oil filters seal and so the filter had a gap enough for oil to spill out of it , I have an 04 Saturn ion , I realized once the car started making a loud thumping noise but prior to that it had asked for oil and I checked the oil level and yeah it needed some, it took half a gallon , it was running good no noises up until 2 weeks ago I have not ran the car since it made that loud thumping noise , did I pop the engine ?

Hi there:

It’s really difficult to tell you for certain what’s wrong with your Saturn without completing a visual inspection. However, if you had to add half of a gallon of oil, that’s not a good indication that internal components were not unharmed. I’d recommend that you contact a local professional mechanic as soon as possible to complete an engine inspection to determine of damage that has been sustained.