Q: My car leaked all of the oil from the oil filter and now it's making a loud thumping noise - did the engine pop ?

I have changed the oil myself for quite some time now but most recently I installed the oil filter but forgot to remove the old oil filters seal and so the filter had a gap enough for oil to spill out of it , I have an 04 Saturn ion , I realized once the car started making a loud thumping noise but prior to that it had asked for oil and I checked the oil level and yeah it needed some, it took half a gallon , it was running good no noises up until 2 weeks ago I have not ran the car since it made that loud thumping noise , did I pop the engine ?

Hi there:

It’s really difficult to tell you for certain what’s wrong with your Saturn without completing a visual inspection. However, if you had to add half of a gallon of oil, that’s not a good indication that internal components were not unharmed. I’d recommend that you contact a local professional mechanic as soon as possible to complete an engine inspection to determine of damage that has been sustained.

3. My car leaked all of the oil from the oil filter and now it's making a loud thumping noise - did the engine pop ?