Q: My 2000 Chevy Tahoe has a few messages. It says reduced engine power & ending service soon, What could the issue be?

asked by on March 22, 2017

It will not pick up speed more than 20 miles per hour. Also when pressing on gas it will hesitate to accelerate. The horsepower only will go to 2.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The check engine light, reduced power light, and general loss of power are very likely all connected to one or two simple issues. Luckily with the check engine light on, the computer has detected the issue, and with a scan we can find out where we need to focus. What generally happens is the computer detects an issue with a sensor or component (throttle, oxygen sensor, fuel pressure, etc), and decides the vehicle is at risk of potentially major damages. This triggers a "limp mode" so you may drive the vehicle to safety and turn it off while minimizing damages. Hence why you are not able to go above 20 MPH, but did not stall. Scan the vehicle for codes with a technician or at your local automotive parts store, and take corrective action from there. For more help with diagnostics and resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.