Q: Volvo xc70 locked up exiting hwy, will reverse but no fwd motion. Idles smooth, rolled fine with front end lifted to tow.

I was driving my 2006 Volvo XC70 down the hwy when I heard something clink off my car. Figured maybe a piece of debri from the roadway, so i continued driving (approx 65-70 mph) about 1/2-3/4 mile later on exit ramp my car skid as if my front tires locked up for a moment. But then it continued just fine to the end of ramp. I was trying to get off roadway when it locked up completely, at end of ramp. Had it towed home. It's AWD, tow driver said he shouldn't have been able to pull it with rear wheels down but it rolled just fine. But with all 4 on the ground it won't move forward even while in neutral. When I got home it reverses just fine, will go about 6 inches forward and then nothing. Could something be locked up on the front end? Or should i suspect tranny issue? Will take it to mechanic but trying to get better idea of what's going on first.

Hi Hailey. Thanks for contacting us today. What you are describing is quite alarming. Anytime the front tires lock up while driving, that’s usually an indication of a fairly serious driveline failure. The damaged components can range anywhere from an inner transmission seal or gasket being damaged, a serious obstruction of fluid in the hydraulic lines, a torque converter failure, a driveshaft or CV axle or even something as simple as a speed sensor failure. Either way, a detailed inspection should isolate the root source of this problem - so it’s best to wait until the mechanic has fully inspected your Volvo.

3. Volvo xc70 locked up exiting hwy, will reverse but no fwd motion. Idles smooth, rolled fine with front end lifted to tow.