Q: Car sputtering and dying when put into gear and given the gas.

The car runs okay in park. When we put it into gear and give it the gas, the car starts sputtering bad and has quit on us at times. Tried replacing fuel filter, checked the plugs, replaced the pcv valve, checked all the hoses we could get to. Also, the transaxle light starts flashing when rpm hits 3,000.

This sounds like potentially a vacuum leak. I would check for any signs of vacuum leak first if you have access to a vacuum gauge set. If not, I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose stalling issue and make the necessary repairs.