Q: Can a bad o2 sensor cause my vehicle to jerk and jolt while driving?

My Edge is sputtering and jerking. Not while I'm accelerating. Only when I'm maintaining a constant speed in excess of 40 mph. But, if I keep my RPM's below 2500, it doesn't seem to happen. Any thoughts?

It’s "possible" but if the oxygen sensor(s) were bad enough to cause such symptoms, the check engine light would be on and there would be a diagnostic trouble code referencing an oxygen sensor or sensor circuit fault. In any event, oxygen sensor output can be directly tested using a scan tool, and/or by using an appropriate automotive scope, in order to rule that possibility in or out. Your issue could be fuel, ignition or air induction related. Consequently, I recommend an engine performance diagnostic - hesitation above 2,500 RPM and the responding certified mechanic will get the problem identified and resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Can a bad o2 sensor cause my vehicle to jerk and jolt while driving?