Q: Frozen caliper bolts

I've successfully replace 3 sets of pads on our 2001 Honda Accord, but am having problems removing two bolts on the 4th. Now they are stripped and rounded. I've tried heat, liquid wrench, DW40, etc. with no luck. I don't want to take it to a shop just to remove 2 bolts and was hoping your service would help by ether coming out or suggesting a solution. Mechanic quoted $168, but I think it was to do a total break replacement. What would the cost be to take off two bolts?

A: If the bolts are seized into the caliper th...

If the bolts are seized into the caliper then the caliper will need to be replaced along with the caliper bracket. Once you applied heat to the caliper you may have damaged the caliper internal seals. I suggest you have the caliper, caliper bracket and bolts along with the pads replaced.

If you have already rounded off the bolts and tried heating the bolts, then there may not be much else that can be done. You could try removing the entire caliper bracket (with the caliper attached) off of the car and then sliding the caliper from the caliper bracket to lube it and then attempt to reinstall it. This way, no damage is done other than rounding the bolt heads. If you need help with any of this, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come visit your location to inspect the brakes in person to come up with a repair.