Q: Engine jumps up in RPM when unnecessary.

asked by on February 21, 2017

Normal RPM on freeway is 3. Sometimes, if I accelerate suddenly, the car lurches forward and feels like it skips a gear. Then the RPM suddenly stays at 4, revving the engine loudly. Any acceleration makes the RPM shoot up past 5. I pull off to the side of the road and idle the car. The RPM sits a little over 1, but accelerating boosts it back up to 4. Turning the car off and on again fixes the problem, shorthand, but this has occurred 3 times within the last 8 months. I know my spark plugs need replacing, but I'm not sure if that is the main problem. Thanks for your time

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Typically when you rapidly accelerate while you’re driving, the transmission will "down shift" into a lower gear to assist in the acceleration; which increases the engine RPM’s until the transmission shifts into the higher gear. However, you shouldn’t have this issue all the time. In some cases, this is caused by the transmission fluid and filter being dirty, which causes the transmission to slip frequently. If you’re going to have your spark plugs changed, you might want to also have them flush the transmission fluid and change the filter or have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location first to complete a car is hard to shift inspection first; which will allow them to inspect your car personally to determine what is causing this issue.