Q: Car shuts off when driving it and power steering locks up what is the problem?

I have a 1990 Buick Electra park avenue and it tends to shut off a lot while driving down the street and I turn the car off and turn it back on after a while and it drives fine and then does it again. what could the problem be?

These vehicles have several common problems that may be causing your car to stall. However, in your case, it sounds like your ignition module may be losing spark when the vehicle gets warm while driving.

After sitting for a while, the engine cools and the car starts up again and drives until the module gets hot and stalls the engine again. I can give you a list of components that can cause the same symptoms as this module like the cam sensor, crank sensor, ignition coils, engine control module, fuel pump or fuel relay. Now all of these components can give a similar symptom of stalling and no start until they cool down, but the codes they store in the computer memory will all be different.

A mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can come to your location to diagnose your car’s stalling issue and pinpoint the problem so you will not have to replace all of these components.

• Car shuts off when driving it and power steering locks up what is the problem?