Q: Oil leaked from gasket and destroyed alternator

I was driving at 50 mph when my car suffered catastrophic loss of all the electrical power: no brakes, no power steering, and no engine power. I could not get it to restart. I learned on the internet that this problem has been experienced by others of my make/model. I read that an oil gasket leak drips oil on the alternator which produced loss of electrical power and causes the engine to die. My dealer concluded that the oil had leaked from the gasket and had destroyed the alternator. I definitely consider this a serious risk and safety hazard! Serious accidents could result from this problem. Can you tell me what to do to prevent this from ever happening again?

Hey there! This done sound like a dangerous situation. The oil that leaked onto the alternator was the cause for the failure, so the oil leak was to blame. Fix the oil leak properly and maintain a good oil change schedule and the issue shouldn’t happen again for a long time. Make sure that you have the oil leak, alternator, and future services conducted by a professional with OEM quality parts in order to have this taken care of properly.

3. Oil leaked from gasket and destroyed alternator