Q: Brake and ABS lights on for several day and then off

I've had the brakes checked and all systems good. After that my brake warning light and also the ABS light came on for several days. But now they've gone off for the past 36 hours. What would cause this and should I clean the sensor?

The anti-lock braking system (ABS) system prevents wheel lock up when the brakes are applied during emergency braking or on a slippery surface. In your vehicle, the skid control module receives speed signals from each wheel’s speed sensor.

It then controls brake pressure to each wheel via the pump motor and solenoid valve. The ABS warning light will illuminate if there is a system malfunction. The electronic brake force distribution (EBD) controller utilizes the ABS to properly distribute brake force between the front and rear of the vehicle as well as side to side. The brake light will illuminate if there is a problem with the EDB controller.

My best guess is that you have a faulty wheel speed sensor/wiring harness, but the problem could be anywhere in your ABS/EBD system. Cleaning the sensors isn’t likely to solve your problem. I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose and repair your brake system for you.

3. Brake and ABS lights on for several day and then off