Q: How do I remove/replace the driveshaft center support bearing from the shaft?

asked by on November 08, 2016

The entire bearing has blown out of the housing in my drive shaft center support, resulting in a lot of loud clunking when in motion. What is the best (easiest) way to remove/replace the part? I found the part - Spicer 1280-1310-1410,. Can I remove the bolts of the rear driveshaft and detatch it from the front driveshaft? I can't see how else to get the center support housing off and a new bearing back on to the shaft. Also, if I need to take it to a mechanic, how much damage can result from a short drive in this condition?

Hey there. In order to replace the center support bearing you will need to remove the rear drive shaft and then drop the center support bearing and front shaft. The support bearing will need to be pressed off and then new one pressed on to the shaft. The vehicle may not be able to be driven to a repair location without damaging transmission tail shaft. Your best bet here may be to have a mobile mechanic come to you to replace the center support bearing for you.