Q: Blower motor isn't working

When my Yukon is sitting at and idle there is no air coming from the vents. When I'm going down the road it blows heat but not at the speed that the fan is set on. Would that be my blower motor or my resistor? Or something else?

A: Hi there. The fact that no air blows at idl...

Hi there. The fact that no air blows at idle but once the car moves you get flow makes it sound like the blower motor isn’t really turning at at all, but rather you have the door set to outside air. In this case, the flow at speed simply represents forced air coming from the outside.

I would first check the cabin air filter for blockage. As you have noted though, low air flow could also be due to a failing motor and/or a problem with the resistor block. Occasionally, there are issues with the blend doors and the blower wheel could be blocked with debris (if the filter is missing or perforated, then suspect debris in blower wheel).

If you are looking to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the AC system and replace the blower motor and/or the blower motor resistor as necessary.