Q: Is it the part or a deeper problem when the camshaft position sensor error displays after replacement

asked by on August 30, 2016

Downshifting or moving slowly and the car cut out on me several times. Would restart after resting for a 30 seconds to a couple minutes. Error codes P0335 and P0345 appeared for camshaft (bank 2)/crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction. Bought a cheap ($23) set of the sensors and replaced them myself without incident. Check engine light was gone after that for about 2 weeks of normal driving until the issue resurfaced, car cutting out and check engine light. As a note, whenever the car cuts out and I restart, VDC OFF and SLIP lights are on until I rest the car overnight. I've already booked a mechanic for tomorrow, but would like to get another opinion & some thoughts that would potentially help me to understand, as well as maybe some info that could help my mechanic, if there are people with experience with this issue out there. Thanks!

As a technician, anytime two sensors fail at once, I suspect there is something that both these sensors have in common. This common item is the likely point of failure. It is unlikely that two sensors would fail at the same exact time. It is much more likely that one thing has failed. Finding that common component or electrical connection is what I would be looking for. It is important to keep in mind, it is possible, but not probable, for two components to fail at the same time.

There are two issues I want to point out with your car:

Number one, it appears you have an intermittent problem. This is very common in automotive. One day something works and the next day it doesn’t. The trick to diagnosing such problems is the recreation of the failure while I am working on it.

The second issue is, cheap is most often low quality in automotive. With computer sensors that are the core of the operation of your car, I never recommend lower quality components. There are some companies making high quality replacement parts that are excellent alternatives to original equipment, but there are equally if not more companies producing low quality parts. Using substandard parts often costs you more money. There is the cost of purchasing the new parts and the cost or time of the repair. Then you get to do it all over again when the part fails. I personally will not work on a car if the customer won’t use quality parts. It leads to poor customer satisfaction and that is way to expensive for my reputation.

This failure could easily be a bad connection at a connector, module or a rubbed through electrical harness. These sensors have a common power supply. These are some of the possibilities.

At the end of the day, bad electrical connections are always the culprit. The question is, where is the bad connection occurring? YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your car’s trouble codes further and help you make the necessary repairs.

Good luck!.