Q: Strut replacement with electronic suspension

Hello. I have a 2008 GMC Yukon SLT that has a bad driver side strut. I purchased a set of Detroit Axle strut kits, but they don't have the electronics like the OEM struts. Is it necessary to replace these with the electronic version or can a regular non-electronic strut be installed? They fit just fine, but will likely throw a dash light on if not hooked up to the system.

This model has the compressor in the rear, so I'm not sure if they're related or if the systems are separate. I'm having difficulty finding the kits with the electronics, so would like to use the ones I have if possible. Please advise, thank you.

Hello. You can replace the air suspension components with traditional suspension components, however doing so would remove the air functionality of the components. If there is a compressor on the vehicle it is likely that it generates air pressure for all four of the vehicle’s corners, and removing one of them may affect the performance or functionality of the entire suspension, as well as as set off a warning indicator if electronics are disconnected. If you replace all four of the struts with non air versions then the performance problem will be averted, however there will likely be a warning message displayed on the dash. If you are unable to find a suitable replacement that matches what is already on the vehicle aftermarket, then you should be able to find one through a dealership or OEM supplier. The most suitable replacement piece would be an OEM replacement, as that would be a direct fit and ensure that the rest of the system functions properly. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a profesional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to replace the faulty air spring / strut](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/air-springs-replacement).