Q: Too much oil in car and need to drain it.

asked by on December 17, 2015

I put too much oil in my car and now need to drain some of it out. How do I do this?

Due to engine oil being considered a hazardous waste, I recommend enlisting the help of a technician to remove excess oil from your Honda Civic. There are three common ways this is done. The first way is for the mechanic to remove the drain plug on the underneath of the oil pan and drain all of the oil out, then replace the drain plug before adding the correct amount of engine oil. The second way, which can be a bit messy, would be to once again remove the drain plug and allow some oil to drain into the oil pan, then replace the drain plug and check the Civic’s oil level to see if it is appropriate. The third option, and in my opinion the safest and cleanest way, is for the mechanic to use a fluid extractor and remove the excess oil through the engine oil dipstick. The mechanic you choose will have the best knowledge and tools to ensure you have the proper amount of oil that your Civic engine needs, as well as knowing how to safely contain and dispose of all hazardous waste.