Q: New Slave cylinder installed and the plunger keeps getting dislocated. Doesn't want to go back into the cylinder and the pedal is soft

I just replaced the slave cylinder and when I pump the clutch, the plunger pops out if place. I'll force it back into the cylinder and a couple more pumps of the clutch and it pops out again. What am I doing wrong?

Hey there, it sounds as though the hydraulic pressure is not bleeding back fully when you release the pedal. First you should check the clutch pedal and verify that there is free play when the pedal is released.

There should be almost 1/4 inch of free travel of the pedal before there is any movement of the piston in the master cylinder. If there is not, it could be that the pedal pushrod needs adjusting or that the pedal is not returning all of the way. The other possibility is that there is a restriction in the flexible hose that connects to the slave cylinder. That can cause a pressure build up in the slave. That can only be repaired by replacing the hose. If you still can’t get it working, consider having a professional inspect the clutch so that this can be repaired appropriately.

3. New Slave cylinder installed and the plunger keeps getting dislocated. Doesn't want to go back into the cylinder and the pedal is soft