Q: Oil temp sensor

I had recently replaced the oil temperature sensor at a shop since the check engine light was on. And as I was driving back home, the light came back on. The Autozone ran a test and it ran the same code for oil temp sensor. The mechanic said it was a new sensor that they had installed. I did a reset on the car and the check engine light would disappear but it would show again after driving it certain miles. What is the problem?

Interpreting OBD codes is not always a case if replacing the part mentioned in the code. In most cases the code will indicate a circuit (in this case oil temp sensor circuit) and a voltage (voltage high or voltage low). It does not necessarily mean the part is defective, what it does mean is that there is an incorrect voltage reading and the technician needs to determine why. In many cases it could be a bad connector, or a wiring harness shorted to power or ground. It could even mean a bad ECU. Because of labor costs, sometimes it is most economical to replace the sensor, and if that does not solve the problem, continue with the diagnostic. If you decide to follow through with this, contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Nissan and let you know what is the next best step.

3. Oil temp sensor