Q: Uneven tread wear and vibrating

asked by on October 16, 2016

The tread on the inside of the tire on the driver's side is wearing but only on every other tread. It also makes a clunking sound when I start to move and a vibration up to about 30 mph. The u joints seem to be tight.

I believe you have some suspension problems. If you have worn balljoints, then you will have a problem with uneven wear and tear on your tires. Also, you could have a problem with your control arms. The front of your truck is super heavy, so you could even be having problems with your suspension. I will give you some steps you may want to take.

1. When you are under your truck, lay under then engine and look at each tire from behind. You will see a boot at the top and another at the bottom: are they dry or torn? If so, you’ll need a ball joint replacement.

2. Looking at your lower control arm: are the grommets on each side torn or broken in the middle? If so, you’ll need your lower control arm replaced.

3. When you are standing beside your vehicle, measure the distance between the tire and the top of the wheel well. Are they different on each side? If so, you’ll need to have your shocks replaced.

4. You need to check your steering to see if you need a front end alignment. While driving your truck on the road, if you let off of the steering wheel, your truck should stay in a generally straight line, possibly veering to the right slightly. If not, you will need a front end alignment. If you find anything wrong in the first 3 steps, you will need to do an alignment when the work is done.

Be sure to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or work and determine the exact cause of the uneven tire wear and suggest the best course of action for resolving the issue.