Q: Leaving stop light car runs high rpms 5000-6000 and doesn't want to go over 20 mph 2009 Chevy Traverse

Was leaving a stop light and 2009 Traverse didn't want to accelerate. Ran high rpms and slowly got up to speed. The next day same thing happened when leaving a stop sign. Took a little bit and high rpms but got up to 45mph, after I got to 45 it was fine. A few times when I was stopping, the rpms would go up a little instead of going down. The day after that was at a stop and car didn't want to accelerate and 4000rpm or higher. Eventually hit 6000 rpm at 40 mph and then the rpms stayed the same but car wouldn't go over 20mph. Had it towed to a shop. It's giving them 3 different codes but nothing definitive. Mechanic is suggesting replacing TCM but can't guarantee that is the problem or replacing transmission all together. Neither of these is cheap as you know. Any help and or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A: Hi there - first thing to check is the tran...

Hi there - first thing to check is the transmission fluid level - low fluid levels can cause lots of problems like this - your transmission is obviously slipping badly. If the fluid is at a correct level, and doesn't smell burned, you may well have burned out clutches in the transmission, or solenoid or valve problems in the valve body of the transmission. The problem codes reviewed by your mechanic should have helped guide the diagnosis. I would recommend a 2nd opinion transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.