Q: Fixing the oil leak on the nuts holding the valve cover

asked by on May 18, 2016

My brother's '96 Cellica loses a little bit of oil through the nuts that hold the valve covers. Please tell me it is not a complicated thing.

Change Oil and Filter $92.33 - $165.78 Get a Quote

No, I work on that all the time. It’s a very easy job. What you’d want to buy is a valve cover gasket kit that includes rummets for the spark plugs and rounded bolts. Even if you are not a mechanic, it doesn’t take more that an hour or two to do the job. Everything just slides off and bolts off. The only hard part is that, with gaskets, they would often be old and dried out so you’ve got to get a small screwdriver and scrape all the gasket out of the holes before you put a new one. If you need help performing this, you can just have a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect and repair your oil leak for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr