Q: to replace a #4 cylinder exhaust valve lifter, do you have to do anything with the head gasket?

to replace a #4 cylinder exhaust valve lifter, do you have to do anything with the head gasket?

Hello. If you’re replacing the lifter with the cylinder heads attached to the block, you shouldn’t have to remove the cylinder heads or do anything to the cylinder head gasket. However, if the reason you’re replacing the lifter is due to excessive smoke from the exhaust, that symptom may be caused by damage to the gasket, which is why you should always replace the gasket as a proactive measure anytime you’re working on cylinder head hardware. It’s also a good idea to complete that job away from the engine, as it’s possible to drop debris inside the oil galleys. If you need help, an expert from YourMechanic can inspect your exhaust system and make the necessary repairs.

3. to replace a #4 cylinder exhaust valve lifter, do you have to do anything with the head gasket?