Q: Instrument cluster shuts down

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE when I turn the ignition forward the odometer the shift selector don't power up nor do gauges. I put a good used cluster in and the odometer and shift selector work now but no gauges still. When I turn the vehicle on the gauges don't work and the odometer reading and shift selector work but after five seconds the instrument cluster goes dead I've checked the ignition starter switch, fuses.is there anything else to check or am I just looking a a bad BCM unit? Please advise if there is anything to check or replace before buying new module for car?

A: Hi. A check of the wiring going from the in...

Hi. A check of the wiring going from the instrument cluster to the BCM is needed. A lot times there is a broken wire, shorted circuit, short to ground, or a corroded wiring or connector. These are all usually the problems causing this situation not the BCM itself. It's still possible that the BCM is at fault but it is the last thing that would be changed.

The Dodge Grand Caravan is known for electrical issues all throughout the car and at times can be hard to fix. If you'd like to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you and diagnose the source of your electrical problems. Best of luck.