Q: Car lost power & stalled while driving on interstate - 2016 Hyundai Genesis

Late at night, I was driving on the interstate with the adaptive cruise control turned On and my car suddenly lost power. To avoid an accident, I accelerated and moved into the left lane. Then returning to the right lane, the car wouldn’t respond to the throttle input. The RPMs decreased to zero and my car stalled. No warning lights were on. I restarted the car and still no warning lights. Limp-home mode came on with maximum of 1500 RPM with max speed about 50 mph. There was no more stalling while I drove 10 miles to my house. After having it towed to the dealership, I was told that the OBD2 fault code was P1230, low fuel pressure. The tech was able to reproduce the problem when he test drove my car. Their diagnosis was "failure of high-pressure fuel pump." Now, five days later, they want to do more diagnostics before they replace the fuel pump. Do you agree with their recommendation for more tests or do I tell them to go ahead with replacing the fuel pump and I test the car before more tests?

Hey there. I would recommend letting them diagnose the problem rather than just simply telling them to replace the fuel pump. The vehicle is under warranty since it is a 2016 model. For Hyundai warranty to pay the dealer for the repairs on your vehicle, they have to confirm the failure. If you tell them to replace the pump without further diagnostics, that will be on you if the pump does not fix the problem. If they diagnose that the pump is bad and that doesn’t fix it, then it is on the dealer. Unfortunately, with warranties the dealers hands are tied by the car company.

3. Car lost power & stalled while driving on interstate - 2016 Hyundai Genesis