Q: Car vibrates when in park.

asked by on August 20, 2017

Car vibrates when in park. Seems to worsen when a.c. is running. What could this mean? I have a 2014 Kia Forte EX.

The cause of such vibration is either engine related (fuel, ignition, air induction, uneven compression, harmonic balancer defects) or the cause could be motor mount related. To check for motor-mount problems, you can try shifting from "neutral" to "drive" and back, while the engine is running. If the vibrations disappear or reduce dramatically in "neutral," it’s likely that you need new engine mounts. Whenever there is excessive engine vibration, engine operating conditions have to be ruled out. For example, rough running at idle can be caused by faults in the air induction system as well as the ignition and fuel systems. If you want the running condition of the engine evaluated by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a rough idle diagnostic. If the cause of the rough running is not engine related the same mechanic will evaluate the motor mounts during the same visit. If you do end up replacing motor mounts, genuine OEM mounts are recommended in order to maximize the chances of resolving the problem. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.