Q: 2006 jetta 2.5 revs on its own in neutral or when clutch is in.

asked by on February 07, 2018

I was at a stoplight and my car just randomly reved up to 2700rmp. I thought my floor mat may be stuck so I moved it and it would still Rev up every few seconds when in neutral or with my clutch in. It doesn't do this if I'm in gear and driving but as soon as I pushould clutch in to shift it does it. Can't find a clear answer anywhere

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This problem of erratic and/or high speed is often referred to as "surging" or "hunting". The causes include vacuum leaks and EGR system faults, a faulty idle air control (IAC) valve or circuit, faults in the fuel pump control circuit, defective spark plug(s) or ignition system components, faulty fuel injector(s) or injector circuit faults, PCV system faults or a faulty ECM (not common). Often, the application of a real time automotive scanner can find the fault as actual engine operating parameters can be viewed during the "surging". I would recommend that you request a high/inconsistent idle diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will perform the required diagnostic steps to get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.