Q: Battery light and air bag light comes on and off

asked by on November 25, 2016

Hi I currently have a 2003 ford zetec , driving home my battery light and air bag light came on, they both go out after a few seconds, but tonight all my instruments failed for a few seconds before starting back up again , my alternator seems to be charging the battery but it's charging to high, car starts up first time all the time, this is my first car so I don't really know much about them . Thanks for the help

This may be a voltage regulator issue. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.