Q: Improving MPG on a '93 Chevy G30

asked by on June 09, 2016

I have a 1993 Chevy G30 with 4 54 CI 7.4 Liter V8. How can I improve my miles per gallon besides change my driving habits and tire pressure?

This car is known to be a gas hog. You’ve got a big block Chevy V8 and it’s an old one, so it has a basic, really old-fashioned fuel injection system that doesn’t work all that well. There’s really nothing you can do to make it get a better gas mileage. You could swap to a more modern fuel injection system but this wouldn’t change much, maybe one or two miles per gallon, while costing you thousands of dollars to do it.

Just basically keep air in the tires, keep the oil clean in the air filter, and drive conservatively. That is the only way you can get it to be half-way decent. And of course, the more you drive on the highway, the better gas mileage you are going to get. Because you are getting better gas mileage when you are going 50 mph than when you when you are stopping and going at 30 mph. So, whenever possible, drive where the speed limits are higher and there are no stop signs.