Q: Problems with transmission, stalling

My car has developed transmission problems, for which I went to the dealership but was told that this was normal. The problem occurs each time I go into reverse and then shift into drive. At that point, when I quickly press the gas pedal the car stalls. Once, I was driving and had to go to reverse and when I was about to move forward, there was another car coming. So, I put it in drive and applied the gas but the car stalled. The other vehicle avoided collision by changing the lane. Also, when I'm going to reverse to back out of my driveway, the car would start hesitating as soon as I begin to drive forward. What can I do to fix this?

A: Hey there. You cannot be moving in reverse ...

Hey there. You cannot be moving in reverse and try to go into drive or this would confuse the computer and it may default in idle cause the stall. It is not good for the transmission to be moving in one direction and change gear to try and move in the opposite direction. I recommend coming to a complete stop first before changing gear. If you need help having this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the stalling problem and advise you on the correct repairs.