Q: I have always used regular 5W-30 Motor oil - should I change to synthetic?

asked by on November 07, 2016

I have an American Spec VW Beetle, It has always had regular oil in it. I am ready for an oil change and want to know if I can/should use synthetic oil?

Switching from regular to synthetic oil is not a problem. Your engine will benefit from the better lubrication, temperature resistance, and staying cleaner longer than conventional oils. Switching to synthetic oil or even back to conventional oil is not a problem. If the vehicle manufacturer specifies synthetic oil, then it is best to stick with it. If conventional oil is the recommended oil, using synthetic is not a problem. Your engine will benefit as stated. Conventional oil being the recommended oil only means that the manufacturer feels conventional oil is acceptable. It does not mean you cannot or should not use synthetic oil.