Q: My seats are really really uncomfortable

Before I got my 2010 Honda Accord, I had never been genuinely impressed at how uncomfortable a pair of seats could be. I thought the seats would break in to be softer once I used the car for a bit, but after 40,000 miles the comfort level (or lack thereof) hasn't changed. Driving for less than an hour will mess my back up for 3 hours! Not sure how long I can live like this. Is there a good permanent solution or am I going to have to sell the car?

A: I love to drive, especially with living by ...

I love to drive, especially with living by the beach in Southern California, but I know first hand that it's not fun to drive when you're not able to get comfortable in your own car seat. It can be quite distracting and even take your attention off the road. The discomfort you are experiencing must be quite severe if you are considering selling your vehicle. However, there is a solution that comes to mind which is a simple fix.

There is an aftermarket car seat cushion, called a seat wedge, that may help solve your problem. It is about as wide as your bottom seat cushion and sort of resembles a door stop in shape. The cushion is inexpensive and this added support, along with a proper seat adjustment, can do wonders for alleviating back pain or helping with general discomfort. Because everyone’s bottom is, well, unique to them, you may have to do a little research as to which cushion will work best for you. Installation is as easy as sitting. Just place the cushion on the driver or passenger chair and have a seat. Adjust the seat for maximum comfort, put on your favorite radio station, and take a test drive. You may have to adjust your mirrors as well with the seat cushion, and new adjustments may change the angle of which you use your mirrors. If this added support does the trick for you and you want to make this a permanent fix, a professional upholsterer will be able modify your seat to cater to your needs and give you that factory finish look.