Q: Trunk will not stay up

After pushing the bottom to open the trunk, it won't stay up. It keeps closing on its on. Tried resetting it, and now it only, unlock it. It will stay up after I manually push it up, and stay shut when I manually push it back down. What is the problem, and how can I fix this? Ford dealers, won't to change me $150 dollars, just to look at it.

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle may be experiencing some sort of electrical issue related to the lift gate motor or circuit, or an issue with the lift gate struts. If the lift gate is powered, and opening and then closing on it’s own electronically then it may be possible that there is an issue with the lift gate actuator or circuit. A faulty lift gate actuator, or an issue with the circuit, perhaps the button or a wiring problem, may cause the lift gate to malfunction. This may be the reason why the lift gate is now functioning when used manually, after being reset. If the lift gate is falling down on it’s own, as in the lift supports cannot hold the weight of the trunk, then it may be possible that the trunk struts need to be replaced. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what may be causing your trunk malfunctions.