Q: How do you disable the auto lock mechanism on a Ford Explorer 'LIMITED'?

My truck is an Explorer 'Limited' and the specs are different than for a standard Explorer. The lock mechanism/linkage is fouling up and not working. I want to disable the auto lock mechanism before I get locked in the truck.

Hi there. The following steps are how to disable the auto lock feature in your vehicle.

• Confirm that the vehicle alarm is disarmed.
  • Close all the doors.
  • Make sure that the ignition switch is in the ’OFF’ position.
  • Turn the ignition switch from ’OFF’ to ’RUN’.
  • Press the power door lock ’UNLOCK’ button three times.
  • Turn the ignition switch from ’RUN’ to ’OFF’.
  • Listen for the vehicle’s horn to chirp one time.
  • Press the power door lock ’UNLOCK’ button one time to command the RAP module to toggle the autolock/relock feature ON or OFF.
  • Press the power door lock ’LOCK’ button once to enter the command.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the ’OFF’ position to exit the enable/disable mode.
  • Listen for the vehicle’s horn to chirp one time. This indicates that a feature has been changed.

If you need further assistance with your door lock features, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.