Q: My check engine light is on and I got the codes for my 2013 chevy impala. The codes are P0174, P0011, P0014, P015A, P015C, P0171,

asked by on September 20, 2017

When driving my car it stutters sometimes when the car is stopped or idling. I get poor fuel mileage and the car is feels like it running slightly rougher than normal. The check engine is on and has been staying on for a few days. In prior months the light would come on & turn off and it was usually on when the car fuel level was low. Once I got gas the light would usually go off so I replaced the gas cap a few weeks ago but with so many error codes I am wondering if the issue is major. I was told that sometimes many error codes appear for one part that needs to be replaced and once it's replaced or repaired it would typically clear up the other codes as well. Autozone said it may be the Mass Air Flow Sensor but with so many codes they can't say for sure.

The codes you report implicate varying systems (for example, fuel versus camshaft timing). When multiple codes set there is often an order of priority (which code is tracked down first) in the diagnostic to cover just that eventuality you mention, namely that some of the long list codes relate to one common fault. A real time scan tool, used by a mechanic would resolve this. Such a tool looks at engine data, as the engine runs, and all the systems referred to in the codes you supplied would be looked at on the real time scanner. The AutoZone scanner just reports summary codes and not engine operating conditions or data. To resolve your issue, the best thing to do is request a check engine light diagnostic. Once the faulty part or component is pinpointed at the conclusion of the diagnostic, the circumstances are explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.