Q: Car slowly lost power

My car slowly lost power and didn't seem to be getting any gas. When it did this the other day, I let it sit for a few minutes, and then it started. It was like something got stuck in the gas filter and was blocking the gas flow.

Hello, there are two possibilities for why your truck is doing this. The first possibility is that your catalytic converter is severely clogged. If this is the problem, the car will start, but once the catalytic converter reaches operating temperature it begins to clog up. Then as the car runs and the catalytic converter gets hot, it becomes completely clogged. This will choke the truck and cause it to cut off. Once the catalytic converter cools down, the truck will start up again.

The second possibility is that the fuel pump may need to be replaced. With age and usage, the fuel pump sometimes loses the strength it needs to pump fuel into the engine properly. In this case, the fuel pump is overworking and this will cause the truck to cut off. Once the fuel pump has time to rest, the truck will start up again. My recommendation would be to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your truck to determine why you aren’t getting enough power and complete the necessary repair.