Q: Engine erratic behavior, misfiring hard starting every now and then

Ok my issue is sometimes it's hard to start and sometimes it fires right up. It idles smooth unless it's idling for a bit then it starts to miss fire. it has no power on full throttle anytime that's consistent. And sometimes bucks when I take off normally. The blinkers blink fast as if a bulb is out BUT only when the air conditioning is on high fan speed fan only works on high anyway. Has hesitation when revving it up from idle. Dash Lights also dim a little everytime i use the blinker at night. Is this pcm or ecm related? Bad grounds?

A: Engine misfires can be caused by many diffe...

Engine misfires can be caused by many different problems, but there are a few suspects that occur more than others. Generally, misfires are caused by either a spark or fuel issue or in cases, a combination of both. Spark related problems generally will result from things like ignition coils, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires or ignition modules not working properly. When the misfire results from a fuel related issue, this is commonly related to a lean fuel condition (lack of sufficient fuel supply to the motor). Fuel related misfires can be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, faulty or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty O2 sensor, a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor, a faulty or dirty idle air control valve or a vacuum or intake leak. When the fuel supplied to the combustion chamber is insufficient, this results in an ignition (spark) that is igniting a less than balanced load of fuel and air. This results in a misfire or an explosion in the cylinder that is much less powerful than the other cylinders. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Due to the number of different things that may cause an engine misfire, the quickest and easiest way to diagnose this type of problem is to hook the vehicle up to a scanning tool which will download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the vehicle's computer as a result of the poor running condition. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your misfiring problem.