Q: Intermittant starter operation. Not heat related. Could it be the starter solenoid?

asked by on February 11, 2017

Car will not start. Starter motor doesn't engage. This has happened a number of times, it's very random.Doesn't change the situation if it's cold or warm. If you sit for awhile, it has started. New battery and wiring is only 60000 miles old. Could it be a failed starter solenoid?

Car is not starting Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Yes, it could be the starter solenoid, It could also be the starter relay, the transmission position sensor, the ignition switch, or even the starter motor itself. There really is no substitute for a point to point diagnosis for tracking down the problem. It will be more challenging because your problem is intermittent, and you might have to make a few educated guesses, but you don’t want to just start replacing parts until the car works again, that can get very expensive very quickly. By Contacting Your Mechanic you can have a technician come to your home or office to check out your starting problem and let you know what it’s going to take to fix it.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr