Q: Kangaroo hopping and missing beats when accelerating

Hi my car has recently started to kangaroo hop and misses beats. I took the car to a local mechanic who said the only think he found was the air and fuel filters were dirty so he replaced but the car is no better.

Occasionally the engine malfunction alarm will appear and the car has cut out twice when stopped at traffic lights.

Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Thanks

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve causing your engine idle to fluctuate and eventually stall. The idle air control valve is a small valve on the engine’s intake system that reads the air intake as it comes into the motor. This is controlled by the car’s ECM which uses this information to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio depending on various inputs such as outside air temperature, intake air temperature, load and various other things. As you accelerate, your car’s engine is receiving a much higher dose of fuel than when at idle and conversely, when you let off the gas pedal, there is a sudden change in this fuel supply as a result of your foot letting off the pedal. When this happens, the job of the idle air control valve is to bring this deceleration down to a slow and smooth idle rather than suddenly cutting off the fuel supply causing the motor to die. When the idle air control valve is not working properly, this cause a disruption in this process resulting in the engine not being able to idle properly. I would recommend having a professional come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.