Q: Hello,My steering wheel is hard to turn,Not sure what's the problem I added fluid think I have a leak.

asked by on November 30, 2016

I added power steering fluid and it's back empty not sure if it's the belt or pump

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

Typically when the steering wheel is hard to turn, it is caused by low power steering fluid. The fact you continue to fill it and it remains low, indicates that there is a leak somewhere within the system that should be repaired as soon as possible. The best way to start this process is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a power steering fluid is leaking inspection; so they can determine where the leak is coming from, recommend and make those repairs and hopefully solve your steering problems.

Hello. If you are loosing fluid, then you have a leak somewhere in the system without a doubt. The pump is one of the most common places for a leak. The gasket can fail and cause seepage. You may want to start the search there, and work your way through the systen checking for leaks. The belt however is only utilized to power the pump, and would only be the cause of circulation issues. The belt itself will not be the problem, but the pump very well may be.