Q: Loud clunking noise when i drive over pot holes and bumps. Any idea what this could be?

asked by on March 07, 2017

When i drive over pot holes, uneven pavement i hear a loud clunking noise. It has gotten alot worse in the last 24 hours because i have been doing more driving than usual.

Unfortunately, as our vehicles age, the parts will just wear out. There are a few possible issues that can cause a clunk when going over bumps, in a vehicle that is getting up there in mileage. Worn shocks/struts, worn control arm bushings, worn mounts, and damaged sway bar linkage/mounts are probably the most common issues. It will really be necessary to get the vehicle inspected to identify the issue. If you feel that you could use some help identifying/repairing any issues, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics available at YourMechanic.com.

What you are describing sounds like a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.