Q: Changing timing belt along with other parts in 2004 Proton Saga

2004 Proton Saga. I was wondering if it is good to change the timing belt altogether with the water pump and the alternator belt and the compressor belt as well as the power-steering belt. Or is it a waste of money?

A: That is a 12-year-old vehicle. It probably ...

That is a 12-year-old vehicle. It probably isn’t a waste of money at this point. A lot of really good part places now, when they sell you a timing belt kit, they include a timing belt, the water pump, the tensioner, and all the other pulleys. You might as well change the fan belts if they are worn because when you are doing all that work.

Why not do it all with new parts and then you won’t have to think about them for years and years. That is what I tell my customers. If they want to save money, they can take it apart and see which parts look like they are worn and which aren’t. As long as you are in there, the extra money that you will pay for the new parts beats the labor you are going to be doing and the cost to do the whole job again if any mistakes are made installing the timing belt. If you need help, the technicians at YourMechanic can replace your timing belt and any other components you need at your home or office so you can relax and save a trip to the shop.