Q: Does my 2014 Mercedes CLA250 need a new headlight assembly?

asked by on September 27, 2017

I was told by Mercedes of Atlanta that I needed a new headlight assembly without giving a detail explanation as to why. A couple of weeks later I called to get the specifics and was told that the Controller was damaged. I would like to know should I purchase a new head light assembly or purchase the controller? Also what is the ballast? I took a look at the wiring harness and the last two openings on the plug look fried. Also, the daytime lights and the right turn signal still works. The low beam does not come on, and the right signal is some what indifferent to the left turn signal.
I have xenon headlights My car has 52000 miles.

Your vehicle has high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. The headlamp control module is used to control the lights. Looking at the repair information for your vehicle, it looks like the module bolts to the bottom of the headlamp assembly and can be replaced separately. The ballast is also listed as a separate "control module" by Mercedes as is mounted under the main module. It’s the job of the ballast to regulate the voltage supplies to the HID lights. If the connector looks "fried", the headlamp assembly was probably drawing too much current. More than likely the dealer is looking to replace all of the associated components to ensure a proper repair.