Q: Headlights and turn signals don't work

The headlights don't work, only the high beams. Also, the turn signals don't work, and the driver's side window gets stuck.

Your Dakota’s headlight and turn signal issues could stem from the multifunction switch on your steering column, which controls the turn signals and high beam input. Another possibility is the Front Area Module, which controls all of your exterior lights; this is built into the engine room fuse box, and all the switches involved are inputs to this module. They communicate over the CAN network, meaning there are no individual wires for each circuit on the input side.

A module failure or communication problem could cause any number of malfunctions. First, check all of your bulbs thoroughly; take them out and test them, if necessary. If a bulb fails and shorts, shorts to ground, or to another circuit, there are no fuses involved; the module will simply shut off the circuit until it sees the proper resistance.

The window is a separate issue; the door panel will need to be removed to see what the problem is.

I recommend having a top-rated mechanic come out to your truck’s location to inspect the electrical system for your lights, and inspect your broken window, then suggest the best path to repair.