Q: My car studders when the gas pedal is pressed.

I have an 09 chevy aveo LT and for about 2 weeks (gradually getting worse) when I press the gas pedal it studders 3 to 4 times before actually moving and shifting. It's like it wants to go and talks itself in and out of it 3 to 4 times then eventually agrees to move foward. It does have a hold light that flashes but all my Manuel says is about turning it on during the winter to help with traction. Nothing about it just being on. I have checked to make sure it's not on by mistake and it's not. I would just like a narrow down , one page says it's my wheels, another transmission, vacuum to engine, and fuel pump. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

This may be a sign of a failing throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a sensor used to monitor the throttle position of a vehicle. The sensor is usually located on the butterfly spindle/shaft so that it can directly monitor the position of the throttle. This sensor relays the position of the throttle plate (also called the butterfly) relative to your foot’s position on the gas pedal and associates the two in the ECU.

The ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when applying the gas pedal. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to you home to diagnose the stalling and/or replace the throttle sensor ad necessary.

3. My car studders when the gas pedal is pressed.