Q: added power steering fluid then noticed it was for Honda/acura

My sons car was steering hard so I checked the power steering fluid level and it was low, I added some power steering fluid then noticed it was for Honda/Acura, am I ok or do I need to drain and refill? Thank you for your help and time - Jay

Hello. Thank you for writing in. Honda’s power steering fluid should not be used in your GM vehicle. While they keep the major details of the chemical make up relatively hard to find, they make it clear the fluid is designed for Honda and Acura vehicles only. The systems are designed differently than most makes and models. The damages usually show up first in the seals and hoses. The bottle the Honda power steering fluid came in will likely verify this somewhere in its fine print. At this point you will want to completely flush the system and refill with a GM approved fluid. This will include most other fluids. Your owner’s manual will have more information about the type of power steering fluid you should purchase.

3. added power steering fluid then noticed it was for Honda/acura